Monday, March 29, 2010

Emergin Technology 3 Math-Play.com

I love using games to enrich the curriculum in my classroom. When I had to review for ISTEP I stumbled upon a website that has many math games on it. The website is called math-play.com. Math Play
There is a basketball game on this website that gives the students problems to solve. If they solve them correctly then they can take a three point shot. There are ten questions in total so students can earn up to 30 points. I found the students were really competitive in this game. Each student tried really hard to earn the most points that they could. I found them bragging with one another on what scores they have earned. Even though I find math very fun to teach and learn many students find it very boring. This website allowed me to make learning fun. There are some limitations though. On the second day when I used this I found that many of the questions repeat themselves and students remembered the answers from before so they were basically just playing the three point game instead of solving the problems. Overall though there are many games to choose from on this website. If you are looking to enrich the content you are teaching in math look no further than math-play.com. This is a very great website to incorporate our students competitiveness in education. You will be surprised on how engaged the students become when they play these games. The students I played these games with were the reteach group in my school. We use the eight step process that divides students into three core groups in the academic success class based on data from standards tested. The three groups are the reteach, maintenance, and enrichment groups. The reteach group are the kids who did not learn the standard tested. The maintenance group learned the standard and the enrichment group mastered the standard. I teach the reteach group and feel that the basketball game helped them learned the skills to solve equations. I am very excited to have found this site and use to help educate my students. Give it a look got to Math Play and watch your students shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment